NPR has a story about the sometimes mundane beginnings behind an exhibition. This one is about the Prado’s Alejandro Vergara and his Clara Peeters—a little known Flemish Old Master—show now on view:Continue Reading
ArtDaily.org has the attendance figures for Madrid’s Prado which have remained at 2009’s record levels though the museum’s website saw a 10% increase:
The Museo del Prado, in 2010, concluded the third consecutive year surpassing the 2.7 million annual visitors, a figure that was reached for the first time since the opening of its expansion. The final number of visitors received by the Museum during this year, 2,732,000, has been almost equal to that recorded in 2009, 2,764,155, and in 2008, 2,759,029 the first full year period of the expansion in full operation. As for the reasons to visit, a 57.58% of the total audience visited the permanent collection only, while the remaining 42.42% came to the Museum to visit the temporary exhibitions.
The Associated Press reports that the Prado has exercised its option to purchase the newly discovered work that it helped identify as a Breugel:
Spain’s Culture Ministry says it has bought a previously unknown masterpiece by 16th-century Flemish painter Pieter Bruegel the Elder discovered recently by the Prado Museum.Continue Reading