Two paintings by the Austrian painter, Ludwig Deutsch, that had been held in the same collection for 40 years were sold for more than £1million total today at Bonhams in London. Their 19th Century European, Victorian and British Impressionist Art sale made a total of £2,592,563.
- At the Mosque (1895) sold for £560,750 (estimate: £300,000-500,000)
- Respect (1902) made £512,750 (estimate: £250,000-350,000)
Other sale highlights included:
- Two thousand years ago by John Atkinson Grimshaw. Sold for £125,000 (estimate: £100,000-150,000)
- The Norns Watering the Tree of Life by William Scott. Sold for £75,000 (estimate: £60,000-80,000)
- The Bridge by Stanhope Forbes. Sold for £93,750 (estimate: £30,000-50,000)
- Charivari (The Grand Parade) by Dame Laura Knight . Sold for £62,500 (estimate: £50,000-70,000)