Our running tally of sales reported during Armory Week is available to AMMpro subscribers.
Katya Kazakina had some bold statements from the Armory Show’s director:
A prominent European dealer bought two works for about $3 million from fellow exhibitors during the setup and at least two booths sold out before the fair opened, according to executive director Ben Genocchio.
“Compared to last year, the sales are two-to-three times stronger,” he said. “An enormous amount of business is done before the doors are open.”
If the gallery has sold the contents of its booth to its own client base before the fair opens, one has to wonder if the fair itself is integral to the gallery’s own program.
Kazakina also reported these sales:
- Jamian Juliano-Villani, priced at $45,000 and displayed high up on a pink wall was gone within minutes
- Cecily Brown’s abstract canvas with the asking price of $450,000.
Galerie Thaddaeus Ropac
- sold two black-and-white drawings by Robert Longo, one showing an American flag flying low and the other a woman in a burka, both for $70,000.
- Two works by Robert Rauschenberg, priced at $725,000 apiece, lingered.
Artsy had theses sales:
- two works by Shahzia Sikander, a video work that went for $150,000 and a work on paper for $120,000, as well as several smaller works on paper
- a sculpture by Antony Gormley for £350,000
- a painting by Hugo McCloud for $40,000.
- Three paintings by 29-year-old Brit Tom Anholt plus four more paintings back in London, sold at between $5,000 and $15,000.
- A Kathleen Ryan sculpture sold for approximately $18,000,
- sculpture by Sarah Pichlkostner sold for $10,000
Proyectos Montoya/Timothy Taylor
- Martin Soto Climent canvases with pantyhose sold for between $20,000 and $30,000
- Eduardo Terrazas’s works sold for between $40,000 to $50,000
- One of Gabriel de la Mora’s works, a single-panel eggshell work, sold for around $18,000
Levy Gorvy/Thomas Erben Gallery
- three Senga Nengundi photographs sold for $17,000. They are in editions of five, and Erben said the Museum of Modern Art has all three
- A recent pantyhose-and-sand sculpture sold for $60,000, while an older one went for $75,000.
What Sold at The Armory Show (Artsy)
Artnet News had these sales:
Jack Tilton Gallery
- an installation by Tomashi Jackson sold to a private collection. The mixed-media work of acrylic on gauze and paper, Citrus Flavored Drink (Over and Under) (Bolling vs, Sharpe Briggs vs Elliot) (2017), had an asking price of $12,000
Galeria Nara Roesler
- Vik Muniz‘s Homage to the Square: Glow, after Josef Albers (2016), which sold for $50,000
- A massive painting by Jonas Burgert, titled Anfrass (2017), sold in the range of $400,000.
Jack Shainman Gallery
- a two-panel painting by Nina Chanel Abney, who currently has her first museum solo show at the Nasher Museum, itled Si, Mister (2017), sold for its asking price of $75,000
- Hustle Coat (2017) by Nick Cave, who is the subject of a major retrospective at MASS MoCA on view through August 2017, sold for $85,000.
- Toyin Ojih Odutola, who has a solo show now at the Museum of African Diaspora, had a charcoal-and-pastel-on-board titled Nakameguro (2017) sell for $35,000
- Pieces by Brad Kahlhamer, Richard Mosse, and Leslie Wayne also found buyers, according to the gallery
- a large work by L.A. art star Sterling Ruby, Brigade RWG (2014), that had an asking price of $32,000
Reported by the Armory Show fair:
GALLERI SUSANNE OTTENSEN
- Lawrence Weiner’s Carefully Balanced on the Edge of a Hole in Time for $250,000
HAINES GALLERY, SAN FRANCISCO
- Tamman Azzam for $25,000, and a video installation by Yashar Azam Emdadian.
GALERIE THOMAS SCHULTE, BERLIN
- 14 out of 18 Albrecht Schnider works and several editions by Alan McCollun.
- numerous large paintings by James Castle in the range of $8,000-16,000.
VARIOUS SMALL FIRES, LOS ANGELES
- eleven paintings by Mernet Larsen.
VON BARTHA, BASEL
- Imi Knoebel Anima Mundi 26-5, 2016 Five-part painting, sold for over $100,000
11R, NEW YORK
- Mike Tajima, Negative Entropy (Bally Ribbon Mills Shuttle Loom, Turquoise, Hex Horizontal) $45,000
- Mariah Robertson, 286 $25,000
- Marsha Cottrell Untitled (3:32:44pm)
DAVID CASTILLO, MIAMI
- another Shinque Smith work, Shaped by Light, Shaped by Rainbows for $55,000 to a Michigan collector.
PAUL KASMIN GALLERY, NEW YORK
- three Ivàn Navarro pieces
- one Bernar Venet sculpture
- a Roxy Paine maquette
- a Robert Motherwell
- Works range from $40,000-$300,000.
THADDAEUS ROPAC GALLERY
- 3 works by Robert Longo Ranging in price from $50,000-70,000
- Jason Martin A mixed media work £100,000
- Not Vital Sculpture €180,000
- Robert Mappelthorpe 3 photographs
MICHAEL ROSENFELD GALLERY, NEW YORK
- box assemblages by Joseph Cornell (Untitled [Soap Bubble Set], c.1960)
- Betye Saar (Phrenology Box, 1967); both were acquired by private collectors.
- Charles White drawing from 1950, capturing Harriet Tubman sold to a west coast museum
- a private collector committed to an intimate Tom Wesselman from 1966 (Great American Nude).
MICHAEL HOPPEN GALLERY
- Sigmar Polke work sold
GALERIA OMR, MEXICO CITY
- a multimedia sculpture by Gabriel Rico for $12,000.
RONALD FELDMAN GALLERY, NEW YORK
- numerousRico Gatson sales between $6,000-10,000
GALERIE LUDORFF, DÜSSELDORF
- George Grosz Café – Voreizchnung Zu Dem Gleichnamigen Olgemälde $70,000
- Gerard Richter Ohne Titel $95,000
DAVID CASTILLO, MIAMI
- Shinque Smith, Whirlwind Dancer $55,000 to a Florida collector
- Shinque Smith, Bale sculpture commission $45,000 to a New York collector
KAVI GUPTA, CHICAGO
- 5 works by Claire Rojas, between $10,000-25,000
- works by Glenn Kaino and Irena Haiduk between $25,000-75,000.
- Kiki Kogelnik $110,000 to a private museum
- Alicja Kwade, two works for $11,700 and 50,800 each
- Claudia Comte $21,000
- Jeppe Hein, $42,300
- Camille Henrot, two works for $29,600 each
- John Seal, $14,000
- Daniel Turner, $20,000
SICARDI GALLERY, HOUSTON
- a video work by Miguel Angel Rios entitled Mulas.
GALERIE FRANK ELBAZ, PARIS
- a Julije Knifer painting, sold to Museo de Arte Contemporaneo de Buenos Aires (MACBA).
BLANK PROJECTS, CAPE TOWN
- 6 works by Turiya Magadlela.
GREEN ART GALLERY, DUBAI
- Four drawings by Nazgol Ansarinia
- One painting by Kamrooz Aram
- Billy Childish’s recent paintings were all on reserve or purchased by collectors during the preview evening. The works were sold in the range of €25,000-€45,000 euros. Several of the paintings went to museum trustees including one trustee of the Cleveland Museum of Art.
BLAIN SOUTHERN, LONDON, BERLIN
- Jonas Burgert $400,000-500,000
VICTORIA MIRO, LONDON
- “We had a tremendous response to the Yayoi Kusama installation, Guidepost to a New World,in the Platform section. We have already sold the first in the edition with the second on reserve in the range of $1 milllion.” – Glenn Scott Wright
DANIEL TEMPLON, PARIS
- The gallery reported several pieces by Chiharu Shiota were sold with several on hold, and is also pleased to report that Ivan Navarro’s Revolution III (2017) has also sold.
- Andy Warhol Marilyn $110,000
- Josef Albers Study for Homage to the Square: Ancient (1963) On reserve
- Pablo Picasso Les dejeuners (1961)
ROBERTS & TILTON, CALIFORNIA
- Jeffrey Gibson$400,000 To a private collection
- Kehinde Wiley $140,000 To a private collection
JAMES COHAN, NEW YORK
- Elias SimeTightrope, Surface and Shadow 2 Sold to a private foundation for $140,000
SIMON CAPSTICK-DALE, NEW YORK
- The gallery reported a sale of a Richard Pousette-Dart work.
GALLERY PIPPY HOULDSWORTH, LONDON
- We are delighted that three large-scale paintings by young German artist, Stefanie Heinze, sold immediately for approximately €10,000 each, preceding her first solo exhibition with Pippy Houldsworth Gallery in 2 weeks time.
- We also had great success with British aritst, Rachel Goodyear, following her solo project at The Drawing Center, New York last year, with several works on paper sold during the first couple of hours.
- Ernesto Neto Cai Cai
- Sigdur Gudmundsson Photographs
- Roni HornUntitled No. 10
- Callum InnesExposed Painting Crimson Lake
KOHN GALLERY, LOS ANGELES
- Lita Albuquerque Several works sold
PPOW, NEW YORK
- Sold works by Anton van Dalen and Aurel Schmidt
- Irma Blank is among the artists invited by Christine Macel in the upcoming edition of the Venice Biennale. Radical Writings, Legenda, 18-6-1994 €60,000 sold in the very first minutes of the fair to a collector based in Switzerland.
MARIANNE BOESKY, NEW YORK
- Serge Alain Niteka, Numerous works sold ranging from $30,000-55,000
- Sanford Biggers Numerous works sold ranging from $45,000-70,000
MORAN BONDAROFF, LOS ANGELES
- Sold several ceramics by the Detroit based artist, Anders Ruhwald, in his gallery debut.
CAROLINA NITSCH, NEW YORK
- Wangechi Mutu,Mwotaji (The Dreamer)Sold out edition of 6 variants
- Ebony G. Patterson, Bearing WitnessSold 3 out of series of 10 variants
Nate Freeman of ArtNews had these sales:
- Hugo McCloud’s deleted lines (2017) for $40,000
- Sam Moyer’s Wide Eye (2017) for $35,000.
- Nick Cave’s Hustle Coat (2017) for $85,000
- Nina Chanel Abney’s Si, Mister (2017) for $75,000
- Carrie Mae Weems’s amazing All The Boys (Blocked 1), 2016, a powerful statement on police brutality, is on reserve for $40,000