“It’s easier to know what bag to pick up, for a lot of people, than it is to know what art to pick.”
Marisa Kayyem, program director for Christie’s Continuing Education, talks about the ways in which art and fashion have grown to depend upon each other more and more.
In this conversation she talks about:
- Why brands are in search of the “new” and what they find in art.
- The trend toward luxury retailers using art to create unique spaces.
- Fashion shows as performance art.
- Historical links between fashion and artists like Schiaparelli and Salvador Dalí.
- The controversy surrounding Cecil Beaton’s Vogue photoshoot in front Jackson Pollock’s work.