Hauser & Wirth
- the gallery placed a series of works on paper by Cy Twombly (the whisper number on these works is $3.6m and Dmitry Rybolovlev was seen lingering over them for quite some time.)
- the gallery’s large Philip Guston priced at $6.5m was sold
- a small Alexander Calder work for $600,000
- a Takesada Matsutani Work-B-62 (1962) for $450,000
- a Fausto Melotti sculpture Little Museum on the Water (1979) for €300,000
- a Francis Picabia painting for $220,000
- two Marlene Dumas drawings for $45,000 each
- a Dieter Roth cheese painting for over half a million dollars.
- sold sculptures by Fischli / Weiss and Thomas Houseago (for $75,000)
- a Rodney Graham lightbox
- several works by Phyllida Barlow, including a small sculpture for £50,000
- a Jack Whitten work on canvas for $45,000
- a work on paper by Francis Picabia
- a small Berlinde de Bruyckere sculpture for EUR 130,000
- two Anj Smith paintings for GBP 60,000 each
- a Henry Moore bronze maquette for CHF 48,000
- a Josephsohn sculpture for CHF 45,000
- two neon works by Richard Jackson at USD 20,000 each
- sold Brice Marden’s “Elements V’ 1984 with an asking price of USD $5 million
- a work by Wayne Thiebauld with an asking price of USD $1.5 million
- a Franz Kline with an asking price of $9.5 million.
- sold a new $1 million painting by Kerry James Marshall that will go to a major American museum
- another work by Marshall for $600,000 to a private collection
- A new painting by Yayoi Kusama also sold for over $1 million
- a 2016 Bridget Riley painting worth £700,000 was bought by an Asian collector.
- two new oil and charcoal on linen works by Chris Ofili, worth $380,000
- two new sculptures by Carol Bove for $375,000 each
- a Thomas Ruff photograph for €85,000
- a number of photographs by Wolfgang Tillmans ranging from $8,000 to $80,000, which also sold on day one.
- a Ruth Asawa 1960s hanging sculpture
- two works by Josef Albers
- works by Sherrie Levine
- a photograph from Thomas Ruff’s recent “press++” series for 85,000 Euros
- a number of photos by Wolfgang Tillmans ranging from $8,000 – $80,000
- a drawing by Sigmar Polke, prints by Cy Twombly
- prints and a galvanized steel work by Donald Judd
- sold 14 sculptures by Eddie Martinez on the first day for prices ranging from $12,000 to $15,000.
- sold a £150,000 sculpture by Rebecca Warren, dated 2005-2016, to a British collector
- an installation by Paulo Nimer Pjota, titled Vaporware, some samples (2016), to a New York-based collector for $24,000.
- Wolfgang Tillmans’s photo Kleine Welle (2015) sold to a US collector for $120,000.
- Grayson Perry sculptures and tapestries for prices ranging from £50,000 to £450,000
- A series of recent paintings by Yayoi Kusama (with prices ranging $400,000 to $1 million)
- paintings by Chantal Joffe depicting strong Jewish women, including Betty Friedan, Hannah Arendt, Claude Cahun, and Gertrude Stein, with prices between £10,000 and £30,000, a number of which sold in the first morning
- two major works sold from its co-presentation with Marianne Boesky Gallery and Sprüth Magers
Galerie Thaddaeus Ropac
- works by Robert Longo, Tony Cragg, Daniel Richter, Sigmar Polke, and two paintings by Georg Baselitz.
- Bridget Riley’s Delos (1983) for £1.5 million
- sold Sean Scully‘s Gate (1997).
Marlborough Fine Art
- £1 million worth of Paula Rego works in the first two hours of the fair. Mnuchin also later
- sold a dozen works by Lucas Samaras for $30,000-$40,000.
- sold a new LED light work by Leo Villareal entitled Radiant Wheel, (2015) for $100,000
- sold a new marble bust by Kevin Francis Gray for £80,000
- a small minimalist painting made of copper wire and gesso by Prabhavathi Meppayil for $20,000
- two life size works by Kohei Nawa priced at $380,000 and $230,000
- a small-scale minimalist painting made of copper wire and gesso, “fourteen/ sixteen” 2016, by Meppayil sold for $20,000 USD
- sold all its paintings by Donna Huanca, priced between $17,000 and $22,500.
- sold works by Hans-Peter Feldmann between €50,000 and £90,000
- paintings by Paulina Olowska for around $80,000
- Ryan Gander’s bronze sculpture Elevator To Culturefield (2016) which sold for well over £80,000.
- sold two 2009 Craig Kauffman acrylic and glitter sculptures for $125,000
- a seminal Sylvie Fleury
- works by Kevin Beasley, Giorgio Griffa, Garth Weiser, N.Dash, and Sarah Crowner
- several Betty Tompkins paintings for $3,000 to $3,500
- photographs by Portia Munson at $15,000
- works by Martin Wong, ranging from $25,000 to $200,000
David Kordansky Gallery
- a new painting by Harold Ancart sold for $85,000 to an American collector
- Mary Weatherford’s Spike Driver’s Moan (2016) sold to an Asian collector for $185,000
- Kathryn Andrews’s Black Bars (Dejeuner No. 1) from 2016 sold for $68,000 to an American institutional collector
- two editioned prints by Torbjørn Rødland, including “Cake (Studio 798)” for $13,000 USD
- sold two editions of Lynn Chadwick’s Third Maquette for Teddy Boy and Girl II for 100,000 GBP to two different European Collectors who were both new to the gallery
- William Kentridge’s “Observer” 2016 for USD $450,000
- Mikhael Subotzky’s “Samuel (standing), Vaalkoppies (Beaufort West Rubbish Dump) (0257)” 2006 for USD $15,000
- Ruby Onyinyechi Amanze’s “Either way, you’ll be in a pool of something” 2015 for USD $8,000
Galeria Luisa Strina
- sold three works by Leonor Antunes, acquired through the Frieze Tate Fund to join the Tate collection
- works by Fernanda Gomes, Laura Lima, Marcius Galan, Tonico Lemos Auad, and two drawings by Anna Maria Maiolino
- one of three editions of the 40 identical, life-size sculptures of Nubian masked men by Zak Ové priced at £300,000
Waddington Custot gallery
- Manolo Millares abstracts, dating from 1956 to 1970, were priced between £170,000 to around £900,000, and the earliest, Composición con dimensión perdida, sold on preview day
Alan Cristea Gallery
- 20 Anni Albers prints, priced between £2,000 and £6,000
- sold a unique photograph by Elizabeth McAlpine for £15,000
- two works by Lydia Gifford for £6,200
- a painting by Sol Calero for £11,000
- a wall-based work by Maria Lund for £5,200.
Galerie Emanuel Layr
- sold a number of paintings by Nick Oberthaler, priced at €20,000
- sold a brilliant installation by Angelo Pleases for $34,000 to a European collector
- a delicate bead curtain by Zoë Paul to a London-based collector, for $15,000.
- sold A Still Life with Asparagus (c.1697) by Monogrammist O.M for £100,000.
- solo stand of Dutch artist Ad Dekkers at prices ranging from €50,000- €100,000
Jonathan Clark Fine Art
- a range of Eduardo Paolozzi works from the solo stand ranging in price from £4,000 to £40,000
Rupert Wace Ancient Art
- sold a Bactrian striated marble disc from 2000 BC for £15,000
- early Corinthian helmet for £175,000
- sold an Urbino 16th century Istoriato dish for over £50,000.
Galeria Fortes Vilaça
- sold two new works by Erika Verzutti, with prices ranging from $45,000 to $50,000
- two new works by Leda Catunda, for prices ranging from $25,000 to $60,000.
- Dora Longo Bahia’s “Farsa/Farce – Manet (L’Execution de Maximilien)” 2014 for $25,000 USD.
- sold all 4 Operavivara! works on their stand to a Swiss institution.
- paintings by Grace Weaver Btwn £3k to £11k GBP
- sculptures by Laura Aldridge from £5k to £9k GBP.
- sold a work by Shazier Skiander for an undisclosed amount
- sold a Cindy Sherman “Untitled” 2016 portrait for $325,000
- works by Robert Longo, Nina Beier, Camille Henrot.
Matthew Marks Gallery
- sold works by Rebecca Warren, Ellsworth Kelly, and Nan Goldin.
Wiener Roither & Kohlbacher
- sold Artiulf Rainer’s “Glamour/Pflaume” 1970-79 and Oskar Kokschaka’s “Standing Girl” 1992
- sold a series of Judy Chicago figures for near the asking price of $390,000
- sold two Nancy Grossman drawing for $40,000 USD and $35,000 USD, as well as a Head Sculpture by the artist for $225,000 USD.
- sold a 16th century Istoriato Dish for £50,000
- sold “A Still Life with Asparagus,” Monogrammist O.M, for £100,000
- sold works by Lucas Arruda, Sonia Gomez, Patricia Leite, Luiz Roque, Daniel Steegmann Mangrane, and Mariana Castillo Deball, while Galeria Vermelho sold a 2014 work by Dora Longo Bahia for $25,000.
What Sold So Far at Frieze Masters 2016?
Frieze London and Frieze Masters Sales Report: Update 1
Dealers Report a Flurry of Sales at Frieze London 2016
London Still Leads the Way—For Now (Apollo Magazine)
The Art Market: London hosts Frieze and 1:54 African art fair