Freeman’s in Philadelphia held a Modern and Contemporary sale on November 1st that was dominated by British artists. The $1.4m sale total was achieved through attracting 500 bidders from 30 countries who competed for the 159 lot sale:
- Lynn Chadwick (British, 1914-2003) Winged Figures Version II, Sold for $137,000
- William Scott (British, 1913-1989) Change Back Sold for $137,000
- John Hoyland (British, 1934-2011) 9.1.75 Sold for $131,000
- Ricardo Martinez (Mexican, 1918-2009) Hijo Prodigo III Sold for $118,750
- Alexander Calder (American, 1898-1976) The Ancient Mariner Sold for $68,750
- Sam Gilliam (American, B. 1933) Cluster Sold for $68,750
The Hoyland is noteworthy because of Damien Hirst’s show in London. This is the second highest price achieved for Hoyland and was the result of nearly a dozen bidders.