Judd Tully was prowling the Frieze fellow traveller, Pavilion of Art & Design, for ArtInfo:
“In today’s market you have to make sure to offer something of great quality at a good price,” said Loic Le Gaillard, partner in London’s carpentersworkshop gallery. “Up to £20,000 it flies, at higher prices it becomes a bit more complicated and understandingly so.”
- Carpentersworkshop gallery scored a big hit with Fernandoand Humberto Campana‘s new “Sushi Buffet,” specifically made for the fair in brushed stainless steel and recycled rubber flip-flops sourced from Brazilian favelas. Six of the eight multicolored buffets from the edition sold at £54,000 ($84,600) each.
- Two less expensive editions by Atelier van Lieshout also found multiple buyers. “Friends,” a hellish jail cell with a tiny light fixture, ghoulishly populated by a hung figure, another fellow on the toilet, and a third seated on the floor, sold at £11,000 ($17,230) apiece from an edition of eight. “Lawyer,” a welded-steel desk lamp also from 2011, sold to at least three buyers at £4,500 ($7,000) each from an edition of 20.
- Dickinson: Helo Oiticica‘s “Metaesquema No. 191,” a small but stunning geometric gouache on cardboard from 1958, for a sum near the $300,000 asking price. The gallery also sold Lucio Fontana‘s fire-engine-red slashed abstraction, “Concetto Spaziale Attese” from 1966, for a price in the region of €3 million ($4.7 million). A postcard-sizedPeter Doig painting, “Untitled” from 2000, featuring a bearded figure in a red canoe, also fetched a price in the region of £65,000 ($102,000).
- Eykyn Maclean: Henry Moore‘s 7½-inch-ceramic “Madonna and Child” from 1943. It was originally in the collection of Kenneth Clark, the luminary art historian and museum director […] about $300,000
- Robin Katz Fine Art: Patrick Caulfield‘s […] oil-on-cardboard “Concrete Villa, Bruun” from 1963 to a young British collector […] in the range of the £450,000 ($705,000) asking price.
- New York’s Todd Merrill Studio Contemporary: Katsuyo Aoki‘s “Predictive Dream XXVII” from 2010, in cast porcelain with white glaze, […] to New York collectors Brett Gorvy and Amy Gold for approximately $18,000.
- Mitchell-Innes & Nash: two large scale Roy Lichtenstein mixed-media collage works from 1990-96 for sums in the range of the $600,000 asking price.
- Galerie Vedovi of Brussels and Paris: Italian Zero Group artist Agostino Bonalumi […] seven works sold at prices ranging from €50,000 to €115,000 ($80,000 to $180,000), according to the gallery, including “Untitled Bianco” from 2011 that sold for €73,000 ($114,000).
Reuters reports a few sales:
- Van de Weghe Fine Art gallery sold an Alexander Calder for $1.5 million
- Sladmore Gallery raised 500,000 pounds for a cast bronze by Rodin.
With a Visit From François Pinault and Upbeat Commerce, London’s PAD Fair Proves the “Anti-Frieze” (ArtInfo)