Judd Tully praised the new site for Design Miami as a green alternative to cross-city cab rides for collectors making stops at both ArtBasel and Design Miami:
- Patrick Seguin Gallery: a complete boudoir of sorts by the French designer Jean Royère, including a stunning Croisillon bed from 1949 and matching pair of Persanne wall lamps from circa 1950. The ensemble sold to a European collector at the Tuesday evening opening for around $200,000, according to the gallery.
- Barry Friedman Ltd.: Ingrid Donat‘s remarkable “Commode 7 Engrenages” from 2008, a three-drawer piece in cast bronze featuring a surreal set of gears embedded on one side of the dresser that move as you open the top drawer. One of the edition of eight commodes sold for $125,000. Friedman also sold Herve Wahlen‘s two-foot-high 2003 sculpture of hammered copper with gold leaf, “Luz (Sconce),” for $17,000, as well as Michael Glancy‘s exotically crafted vessel and tray, titled “Verdant Flow,” executed in 2009 in deeply engraved blown glass with a uranium veil, industrial plate glass, copper, and silver, for $85,000.
- Paris’s Perimeter Art & Design as a 2010 “Mono Sushi” sofa by Brazilian brothers Fernando and Humberto Campana sold to two different buyers for around $130,000 each.
- Paola Petrobelli at an asking price of €7,000 ($9,200) each and a womb-shaped carved 2010 centerpiece called “Nacelle” by Matali Crasset for €7,500 ($9,850).
- Brussels’ D&A Lab: Jonathan Monk‘s “Low Table 1984,” a reinterpretation of Donald Judd‘s “Bookshelf 1984” furniture piece, to a Los Angeles collector for $9,000 — the same price it would take to buy one of the commercially produced Judd bookshelves pieces from the Swiss company Lehni.
- Todd Merrill: James Walsh’s grandly scaled, wildly complicated and free-form “Burr Olive Ash” dining table from the designer’s “Enignum Series” with a white-oiled finish, to world class architect Rafael Viñoly and his wife, Diana, for somewhere near the asking price of $145,000.
Gilded Beds and Olympian Bikes Lure Hungry Buyers at Design Miami (ArtInfo.com)