The Master, Judd Tully, covers ABMB for ArtInfo.com:
Hauser + Wirth
- Subodh Gupta aluminum sedan Doot (Messenger), which was priced at €800,000, still had a reserve.
- two untitled Rudolf Stingel paintings, a 2009 oil and enamel on canvas measuring 95 by 76 inches for $400,000, and a slightly smaller 2008 work measuring 83 by 67 inches for $300,000.
- Claes Oldenburg and Coosje van Bruggen’s Paradise Pies Blue, which renders a slab of blueberry pie a la mode in cast aluminum and acrylic, for $125,000 from an edition of six,
- Mark di Suvero’s 2008 Hartnett Grasses, a lyrical abstraction in stainless steel, for $155,000
- Carl Andre’s new Base 3 Aluminum Stack (2008), which is comprised of nine aluminum ingots, for $40,000
- a large, 60-inch-square gouache on paper by Sol LeWitt, Circle (1992), for $150,000.
London’s White Cube
- Richard Phillips’s Most Wanted, which comprises pastel portraits of teen dreams Chase Crawford, Zac Efron, Leonardo DiCaprio, Justin Timberlake, and Robert Pattinson, for $250,000.
- Raqib Shaw’s triptych Three Wise Men, in paint enamel, rhinestones, and glitter on paper, sold for $185,000, the same price earned by two other Shaws, He carried the essence of the sea and an untitled work.
- Andreas Gursky’s 2002 tour-de-force Copan, featuring a montage of Oscar Niemeyer’s Sao Paolo building block, sold for €500,000 ($754,000)
- Thomas Demand’s Fotoecke/Photobooth (2009) sold for €95,000 ($143,000)
- Dottie (2009), a fired and glazed ceramic by Ken Price, for under $100,000.
- new work by the Cuban art collective Los Carpinteros, including Rojo (2009) for €15,000
- three of five editions of Leandro Erlich’s stunning 2009 Log Cabin for $65,000, $75,000 and $85,000 respectively. The faux mini cabin is comprised of resin, metal, wood, paint, and two Blu-Ray players playing DVDs on plasma screens.
- Marina Abramovic’s large-scale color photograph Kitchen 1-Homage to Saint Therese (2009), from an edition of nine plus two artist proofs, for $70,000.
Collectors, Dealers Find Their Way at Basel (ArtInfo.com)