ArtSmart offers personal guided tours of New York’s Metropolitan Museum for private groups. To intrigue clients, Judith Walsh has come up with the Top Ten Things You Should Know About Art. She’s sharing five of those with Art Market Monitor. To get the remaining insights, you’ll have to book a tour:
- The idea of “art for art’s sake” is a modern invention; in the past, art was usually for practical purposes that often involved politics or religion.
- In the West, art is often linked with concepts of naturalism and realism, which stems from the foundation laid by the Greeks
- East Asian art may be principally defined by an interest in nature and tradition.
- The Impressionists invented the foundation of the art world today (with artists selling through dealers and galleries).
- Technology and art have always been closely intertwined, and new technologies continually expand the very limits of art.
ART SMART FALL 2009 TOURS
The Top Ten Things You Should Know About Art
This mini art history tour in ten crucial steps will include discussion on key topics that reflect on how we view contemporary art today. How did the Impressionists permanently change the art market by striking out on their own? How have Greek Classical ideas influenced art through the ages and how do they continue to frame our understanding of art in general today? This tour will provide those “aha” moments when it comes to understanding art history.
Tours are $200 per hour with a two-hour minimum for a group. Contact ArtSmart at 212.595.4444 or email@example.com