Magnificent Jewels and Noble Jewels in Geneva made $175,097,419 / CHF 171,018,625, above the recent record of $160.9m (CHF 149.9m) also set by Sotheby’s in the equivalent sale in May 2015. Here’s Sotheby’s release:
The sale was led by the spectacular “Unique Pink”, a supremely rare Fancy Vivid Pink diamond weighing 15.38 carats that sold for an exceptional $31,561,200 / CHF 30,826,000 (price per carat: $2,052,094).
Speaking after the sale, David Bennett, Worldwide Chairman of Sotheby’s International Jewellery Division, commented: “Exactly one year after having set the world record for a jewellery sale, Sotheby’s Geneva has raised the bar once again with a great sale and a great result for the Unique Pink. This was a sale that had the perfect mix of great gemstones and jewels, the vast majority of which were sourced from private collections.”
- 83% sold by lot
- Three lots sell for over $10 million. Six lots sell for over $5 million.
- New record for an online purchase in a live auction at Sotheby’s (Lot 462, a pair of Important Pear-Shaped Fancy Blue and Fancy Orangy Pink Diamond Earrings totals $6 m / CHF 5.9 m).
- 41% increase in the number of lots sold online compared to the equivalent sale last year.
- Participants came from 45 countries.
- 25% of the total number of participants came from Asia.
- 70% of lots sold above high estimate.
- Pre-sale estimate: $145.4 – 223.8m / CHF 142 – 218.6m.